Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Learn to live smarter...

What does this mean?

Well, for the same reasons that we want to 'work smart' in our jobs so we can accomplish more with less stress and effort,  we also want to live our lives with a smarter approach toward our health and well being. Surprisingly, Americans who reach age 50, in general arrive at this point in poorer health than many of their counter parts in other high-income countries.

Why is that?

Mainly because of the chronic diseases that arise from smoking, obesity, diabetes, lack of exercise and bad eating habits -- all often established in early life. To be able to control these diseases once they have been established is difficult but not impossible. This is where learing to live smarter comes into play.

No matter what state your health is in when you reach 50, my advice as a healthy 77 year old is to get smart and start a program of exercise and sensible eating.  In case you don't  know, this is where I come in and share my experience.

At some point in my mid 50's I began to change my eating habits by consuming less fatty and processed foods. Why? Because I started to put on weight which was a new experience for me. I ate more and did less exercise, and I don't really know why. I just got lazy I guess. Running, tennis, swimming, skiing and hiking, all the sports I enjoyed when I was younger became more difficult and as things got more difficult, I stopped doing them. And the viscious circle of lethargy and more consumption continued. A dangerous road to travel.  So I made a deal with myself to take responsibility and get into shape.

That was 25 years ago and I continue to take responsibility for my health. To date, I have avoided any of the chronic conditions which are predominate in my age group. None of this is difficult.  All you have to do is start. Remember,  "you can't stop aging but you don't have to get old."

Keep it Simple, Consistent and Fun.

Watch for my website, aprimelife.com coming soon.









No comments:

Post a Comment