Monday, August 20, 2012

Weight Training


I've been lifting weights since I was 18, about 57 years to be exact, now that's a lot of years! I lifted heavy weights in the beginning but as I got older the weights diminished and the reps increased. I strongly believe that weight training has allowed me to enjoy skiing, running, hiking, biking, swimming and playing tennis up to the present day without any interruption from injury.

My experience is that weight lifting has kept me in better shape to do all these sports. To quote a book I read recently, The Cure of Everything,  "people with high levels of muscular strength have fewer functional limitations and a lower incidence of chronic disease." I agree with this statement.

If you've never lifted weights before and are past 55 don't think it's to late to start. Begin slowly with some easy exercises using light weights i.e. , pull downs, bench presses, curls and simple shoulder lifts. 

All these weight lifting exercises plus other exercises will be on my website coming soon, so stay tuned.



Pull Downs



Keep it Simple, Consistence and Fun.
      

No comments:

Post a Comment