Friday, August 17, 2012

Use common sense

I just finished reading an article in the NY Times regarding "Hot Weather Exercising."

I'm a regular reader of the health section in the NY Times and consider them quite good. Having said that I've been a runner since the age of 30, I'm now 75, including running marathons, 1/2 marathons, 10K's and 5k's in all kinds of terrain and weather. The idea that a study is needed to determine if your getting hot while running in the heat seems a bit ironic. Of course you're getting hotter!!

 Race in 85 degrees!!
My experience exercising in the heat:

If it's very warm outside then run in the early or late hours of the day when the sun has it's least intensity. Do alternative exercising like swimming, brisk walking, biking, weight lifting, yoga, etc. The older you get the least resistance you have to hot weather, my experience. Or don't exercise the day that it's too hot, take the day off, it won't kill you, might even help.

Keep it Simple, Consistent and Fun. degrees

No comments:

Post a Comment