Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Eat, sleep and exercise the formula for good health as we age......

This seems like a no brainer, it's what we do every 24 hours. We have to sleep, eat and move so the important question is the level at which we do theses three important ingredients for better health.

Speaking as a 77 year old I need more sleep today than when I was 50, at least 8 hours, why because I just don't function as well with less sleep. I believe the body needs more time to recover as we age. This isn't a bad thing only a reality of aging.

Arnold at 77
The amount we could eat and drink when we were 30 years old was fine for that age but it's not a good idea to eat and drink that much when entering your 60's and certainly not in your 70's. What I've learned as I past my 60's was eat less, exercise more and get a good nights sleep. So let me elaborate a little.

This didn't just happen over night I began to gain weight in my late fifties because I was eating the same amount I did in my 30's...so I cut down on the amount of food I ate. In a period of a few years of eating less, cutting out fast foods and increasing my vegetables and fruit intake, guess what, I lost weight. I just changed my eating habits. I began exercising more which made the need to get more sleep a must.

There is no magic formula to a healthy life as you age so follow these three endeavors with enthusiasm and leave the rest to nature.


Keep It Simple, Consistent and Fun.




No comments:

Post a Comment