Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Popping pills as supplements.....

Some one asked me recently about taking fish oil as a protection against all kinds of heart diseases and prostrate problems so I began a little research. I was surprised at what I found. All the recent research has pointed out the fact that too much fish oil especially concentrated in pill form can actually be dangerous and do just the opposite of what you want. So here is my advice as a 76 year old guy.

You are better off when you can get your nutrients and vitamins from a natural source.

Example: eat an orange everyday and forget the vitamin C pill. The orange not only has all the nutrients to satisfy your vitamin C needs it also gives you the oranges fibre which is a very important part of the fruit. The pill can't give you any of that.


Vitamin D is another example. The body produces vitamin D when exposed to the sun 
most efficiently, need I say more. If you can't get out into the sun enough there are many foods, not those fortified with vitamin D but contain vitamin D naturally like salmon, tuna, eggs, cheese, sardines and mushrooms to mention just a few.

I can go on about many other supplements that people take that are un-necessary when the natural food is available, so before taking these supplements do a little research. Just Google it!

Keep it Simple, Consistent and Fun.


Watch for my website, aprimelife.com, coming soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment