Wednesday, June 8, 2011


With running, "the heart becomes a distinctly more efficient instrument, capable of doing more while working less hard." That's my experience.
As a serious runner years ago but now running and jogging only for endurance my standing pulse rate averages 51. The average pulse rate for a person at my age is 84, that's what aerobic exercising accomplishes. My heart is working at 40% less beats per minute that my sedentary contemporaries.
Many doctors see jogging and running as a powerful guard against heart disease and for even those who have survived heart attacks.
Compared with sedentary people, habitual walkers, joggers and runners have an increased life expectancy of 2 to 7 years: and only half the risk of developing Type 2 diabetes.

These are things for all those approaching 55 to really think about and not put it off.

Remember: simple, consistent and fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment